Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

military man enjoying family time


We are so happy you are here!

Alamance Community College's Veterans Services is committed to helping you succeed. Our hopes are to provide you with the resources and community to help you achieve your academic and career goals.

New to Veteran services at ACC?

Click below to access the VA - New Student checklist and get started today.

New Student Checklist


  • Alamance Community College has been voted a “Military Friendly School” for five straight years by
  • ACC offers certificates, diplomas, and degrees in over 35 curriculum programs including Basic Law Enforcement Training. All curriculum programs and BLET at Alamance have been approved for veteran educational benefits by the NC State Approving Agency in Raleigh.
  • ACC offers referral support and disability accommodations as needed.
  • The ACC Foundation offers emergency assistance funds to qualified students.
  • ACC provides a food bank to students in need.
  • ACC has Green Zone certified staff.

Questions about financial aid or Veteran’s Benefits?

Call Brian Barringer 336-506-4398

ACC is approved for Veterans Administration educational benefits.

Most curriculum programs are approved, but any student wishing to use VA benefits should contact the ACC Veterans Coordinator.

Attendance reporting

Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607 beneficiaries will have to submit their monthly verifications through either the WAVE application or from a touch-tone phone. Details on these verification options are below.

Internet Verification ProgramBest OptionWAVE [Web Automated Verification of Enrollment] is available 24 hours a day to Chapter 30 & 1606 students choosing to confirm their monthly enrollment via the internet. It has the same advantage as using the toll-free phone number, with additional benefits to include the ability to:

  • Check the student benefit status [term dates & training time];
  • Check the last payment issue date & monthly rate [based on full months attendance];
  • Submit a request to change the address on record if it is incorrect;
  • Review frequently asked questions [FAQs] and…
  • Ask a question of your own if necessary.

For additional information visit the VA site.

Telephone Verification Program

Students in all states who are receiving Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607, education benefits are able to confirm their monthly enrollment via toll-free phone number. Use of this system eliminates the need for the student to sign and return the previously used VA Form 22-8979 every month. The system offers several advantages:

  • It is available 24 hours a day;
  • It allows VA to process education payments faster, thereby getting payments to students sooner;
  • There is no longer any need to worry about a lost form or lost mail and…
  • The call takes only about a minute.
  • The number to call is: 1-877-823-2378

Direct Deposit

Federal law will eventually require all payments to be made this way. If you are a Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 or REAP Chapter 1607, or Chapter 33 recipient, get started now for your own peace of mind – NO LOST CHECKS! You can make the request in writing, by calling a VA toll free number, 1-877-838-2778, or online through WAVE. In any case you will need your VA file number (social security number), the routing number for your financial institution, the account number, and whether a savings or checking account. A mail-in form is available from the VA Coordinator in Student Success.

Montgomery GI Bill Chapter 30. Persons who first entered active duty after June 30, 1985, are generally eligible. Some Vietnam Era veterans and certain veterans separated under special programs are also eligible. The bill also includes a program for certain reservist and National Guard members (Chapter 1606).

Post 9/11 GI Bill Chapter 33. Generally, any individual who served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after 9/10/01 is eligible. There are 7 levels of benefits (40% to 100%) tied to length of service.

Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)  Chapter 1606.  This program is for members who are actively participating in the Selected Reserve.  Selected Reserve components include the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard.  The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine who’s eligible for Chapter 1606.  The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program and pays benefits.  Basic eligibility requires a 6-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve and satisfactory participation in required Selected Reserve training.

Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance Chapter 35. Some family members of disabled or deceased veterans are eligible for educational benefits.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

You may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant if

  • you meet all Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements except the Expected Family Contribution requirement,  and
  • your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, and
  • you were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.

To receive this grant you apply by completing the FAFSA application. The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year but cannot exceed your cost of attendance for that award year.

For Federal Pell Grant information click here.

The payment procedures are the same as those for the Federal Pell Grant.

Time Limits. Generally, veterans have 10 years from the date they were last released from active duty to use their educational benefits. Spouses generally have 10 years from the date they are found eligible. Children are generally eligible from age 18 until age 26. These limits can sometimes be extended.

For additional information go to the VA site on GI Bill Web page.

Veterans can receive an application from the VA Coordinator in Student Success or the local county office of the NC Division of Veterans Affairs. To complete an on-line application for educational benefits, go to GI Bill Web page.

Dependents can receive an application from the VA Coordinator in Student Success or the local county office of the NC Division of Veterans Affairs. Or on-line at GI Bill Web page.

All students who use Tuition Assistance (TA) should contact their Education Service Officer or counselor within their military service branch prior to enrolling at the College.  Tuition Assistance course approval must be authorized before the first day of classes.  However, some service branches require approval a week prior to the first day of classes.

Choose a VA approved program. Almost all ACC Academic Programs that award a degree or diploma are approved. Corporate and Continuing Education programs are not approved. To make sure your program qualifies, visit Student Success and check with the VA Coordinator.

Meet all ACC and VA admission requirements:

  • an official high school transcript or GED
  • official transcripts from all colleges attended
  • formal evaluation by ACC of all college transcripts and any military training submitted for evaluation and completion of any required placement testing (You may view transfer credit you receive on your Self-Service account and transcript.)
  • completion of an application, VA 1990 or VA5490. If you have used VA education benefits before, a VA1995 or VA5495 is needed instead
  • a copy of all DD214s or NOBE may be required (not required if you have used education benefits before)
  • email request to VA Coordinator ( for benefits to be used each semester

No certification can be made until all these requirements are met.

Please note that VA students except Chapter 33/31 are responsible for the payment of tuition, fees, and books at registration.

VA payments are made directly to you after classes have begun. VA students are encouraged to apply for Federal Financial Aid as well; go to the ACC Financial Aid web page for information.  The only way to monitor your benefit payment(s) is to use Ebenefits.

New users will need to register at

VA Pending Payment Compliance

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), Alamance Community College will NOT take any of the following actions toward students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while their payment from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs is pending to the educational institution:

1) Prevent their enrollment;
2) Assess a late penalty fee to;
3) Require they secure alternative or additional funding;
4) Deny their access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

1) Produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
2) Provide written request to be certified;
3) Provide VA School Certifying Official with other information needed to properly certify the enrollment.

Fry Scholarship

If your parent or spouse was an active-duty service member who died in the line of duty on or after September11, 2001, you may qualify for this benefit.  Click here to learn more.

Make satisfactory progress toward your VA educational goal.

See the policies online for specific academic requirements.

Only classes that meet specific requirements for your VA program can be certified for benefits.

VA will not pay for:

  • any class previously passed (D or better)
  • any class for which transfer credit was given
  • any optional remedial class
  • any audited class
  • any online or hybrid developmental /remedial class (course number starts with 0)
  • any class that does not meet specific program requirements unless a course substitution form is provided by advisor and department head

For fall and/or spring semester, full benefits will be paid for 12 or more credit hours, 3/4 benefits for 9-11 credit hours, and 1/2 benefits for 6-8 credit hours. Unless specifically requested by the VA student, no certification will be made for less than 1/2 time, 5 or less credit hours.

For summer or any other non-standard term, VA will compute benefits based on credit hours and length of term. For ACC’s normal summer semester, full time should equal 6 hours and 1/2 time is 3 hours. This information can vary based on the eligible chapter of veteran student. Please see the VA Coordinator in Student Success with any questions.

Notify the VA Coordinator in Student Success of any changes in your schedule.

Program changes must be made in writing with the VA Coordinator in Student Success and will require an official transcript evaluation before certification in the new program.

Please remember, ACC is not the VA and has no control of VA policy and rulings. It is your responsibility to comply with VA rules and procedures covered in appropriate laws, regulations, and pamphlets.

Program evaluations are completed at the beginning of each certification period.  If you would like a copy of your program evaluation please log onto Self-Service or contact the ACC Veterans Coordinator at 336-506-4398, or stop by the Student Success Department in the Gee Building.


Thank you for your service!

Your success is our priority.


Questions? Contact Us.

Brian Barringer
VA Coordinator
Student Success Building


Alamance County Veteran Services
(County Office Annex)
201 W. Elm St.
Graham, NC 27253

Hillsborough VA Office
Churton St. at Courthouse